We've moved. Please click here to view our new blog.

Monday, February 6, 2012

Elephant Toothpaste

I got this idea form Steve Spangler's Science page.  You can see the link HERE

My girls absolutely loved this one.  

What you need:

A bottle with a narrow neck (A plastic water bottle will work)

1/2 cup of hydrogen peroxide that is at least 6% solution.  You have to get this from a beauty supply store.  We used 30 Volume.  I had no clue what this was... just ask, they will know.  

Squirt of Dawn dish detergent

Food Coloring

1 teaspoon yeast dissolved in approximately 2 tablespoons very warm water

Funnel

Something to contain the "toothpaste" (We used a storage bin).

Directions:

1.  Put 1/2 cup of peroxide into your bottle using a funnel
2.  Add food coloring.
3.  Add a squirt of dawn dish soap.
4.  Mix 1 teaspoon of yeast with 2 tablespoons of very warm water and let dissolve
5.  Pour yeast mixture into bottle and remove funnel 


Supplies


Adding food coloring to peroxide


Pouring in the bottle


Adding dish soap


Watching it "explode"


My oldest smells EVERYTHING


"Look!  It's making bubbles.  What is that, Mommy?"


Round 2 
Pouring yeast mixture into bottle


Smelling it again.  LOL  


The bottle feels warm to the touch afterwards


My 23M old woke up from nap and wanted in on the action.  I think my 11 week old even enjoyed this one!  


My 23M old backed up at first.  "Is it going to be loud, Mommy?"


They loved this!  


Cool!  


My 11 week old watching.  She has discovered her hands!!  


RL 

10 comments:

  1. Love this! Great activity! I love seeing the different levels of involvement of your three children! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blog! My 11 week old discovered her hands this week too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun fun fun! This is on our to do list. I love Steve Spangler I love science activities with a big wow factor. I loved using them in my classroom to get my 5th graders interested and engaged in science (often previous teachers only used the text to teach science and they felt science was boring. You have great photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did this for a "Mad Scientist" Pack Meeting with Cub Scouts awhile back and they loved it! Thanks for the reminder of a fun activity- my four year old would enjoy this too! So glad to have found your blog and sure hope to keep up with you so I can have new artillery to keep my four and two year old sons entertained in new ways!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I was going to mention- at the time I did this, I only had normal household peroxide (which is I think 3%) on hand and decided we would try it anyway. We let the Cub Scouts hypothesize about whether it work or not... anyhow, it sure did! I think we used a bit smaller bottle, like a normal water bottle, but it bubbled just great even without finding anything I didn't already have on hand :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have tried this 5 times now. once with 3% and 4 times with 30 volume peroxide, the exact kind you have pictured. I followed directions provided here and also tried more yeast. I just cant seem to get it to work. Cannot figure out what I am doing wrong. Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  7. As a science teacher, I would like to remind all parents and ask you to add to the list of supplies, the need to wear safety goggles/eye protection when experimenting with even household chemicals like 6% hydrogen peroxide!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is soo cool!

    WHERE DID YOU GET THAT AMAZING TABLE THAT APPEARS TO BE LIT FROM UNDERNEATH!?

    ALSO, HAVE YOU TRIED ADDING HIGHLIGHTER TO THE PEROXIDE SOLUTION SO THAT THE SPEWING "FOAM" GLOWS UNDER A BLACKLIGHT!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://playathomemom3.blogspot.com/search?q=glowing+reactions

      http://playathomemom3.blogspot.com/2012/02/diy-light-table.html

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...